Buffalo State College invites applications for its next Athletic Director. We are seeking a dynamic, creative, and well-rounded leader looking to take the next step in their collegiate athletics career. If you are ready to provide innovative leadership at the head of a program that includes 18 teams, develop plans for funding and facilities development, and fully embrace the NCAA Division III philosophy, this may be the opportunity for you. The Athletic Director will assume office July 1, 2020.
Reporting to the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Athletic Director is responsible for providing leadership to the intercollegiate athletics program at Buffalo State, including the overall administration of personnel, program, student-athlete learning outcome assessment, and planning and budgeting.
This leader is responsible for executing institutional, conference, and NCAA policies. This position is also responsible for coordinating, with the Buffalo State College Foundation and the Athletics Bengal Booster Club, the fundraising and marketing efforts of the athletics programs and the sports complex facilities of the college.
The Athletic Director participates in public relations activities as required to promote the college and its athletic programs. In conjunction with the Enrollment Management Office, this position facilitates the recruitment and retention of student-athletes through various efforts including campus Open Houses.
The Athletic Director works with the Residence Life Office and other campus partners to implement conferences, summer sports camps, athletics-related events, and community events involving facilities. Through their leadership, the athletic director works to ensure that sports complex facilities are fully utilized by students, faculty, and staff for intramural and recreational purposes. Serving as ex-officio on the college’s Intercollegiate Athletics Board is a key responsibility of this position.
• Master’s degree in Athletic Administration or related field.
• Track record of progressively more responsible leadership and supervisory experience.
• Strong familiarity with NCAA and Division III athletics.
• Collegiate coaching experience.
• Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
• Experience working at a diverse institution of higher education.
• Leadership experience at the conference or national level.
• Commitment to men’s and women’s athletics program.
• Budget, assessment, and planning and development experience.
Candidates should visit https://jobs.buffalostate.edu and electronically submit the following materials:
• Letter of interest that speaks directly to the applicant’s required and preferred qualifications.
• Résumé or curriculum vitae.
• Applicants are required to submit a 1-2 page statement in response to the question: What is your leadership style and how will you use it to implement your vision of a Division III athletics program at Buffalo State?
• Names and contact information (telephone and e-mail) for five references. References will be contacted only for finalists. Candidates will be given prior notification.
Deadline: For full consideration, materials must be submitted by February 15, 2020.
Sarah Young, Dean of Students
Professional Staff Representatives
David Cox, Assistant Dean, Student Leadership and Engagement
Jim Fowler, Facilities Manager, Athletics Department
Michael Heflin, Director, Equity and Diversity
Mike Lewis, Director, Events Management
Elizabeth Hartz, Director, Nutrition Education Center, Weigel Wellness Center
Jamie Brown, Head Softball Coach, Athletics Department
Tim Walsh, Associate Vice President, Marketing and Communications
Shashi M. Gayadeen, Associate Professor, Criminal Justice; Faculty Athletic Representative
Bhakti Sharma, Associate Professor, Interior Design
Ronald Stewart, Chair and Professor, Sociology
Tiffany Easy, Treasurer, United Students Government
Eimile O’Brien, Chair, Student-Athlete Council
Lisa Noreck, Administrative Assistant 2, Student Affairs Vice President’s Office
Back to Top